A busy summer for Carolina faculty

Who says summer is a slow time in the world of academia? Certainly not Carolina’s faculty and staff, who were busy at work around the world, across the country and here on campus. The University Gazette recently asked for submissions about how these hard-working Tar Heels were spending the summer, and published a few of their responses. Take a look at what these College faculty members have been doing this summer.

Bernard Bell, director of the Shuford Program in Entrepreneurship; Shanghai, China

From Bernard Bell, photo of students in field: I spent three weeks in Shanghai with 15 students, all interns at Chinese companies, paired with a Chinese roommate for cultural education and studying Mandarin Chinese. Each week, we invited a Chinese entrepreneur for dinner and had a lunch with hosts who spoke only Chinese.

I spent three weeks in Shanghai with 15 students, all interns at Chinese companies, paired with a Chinese roommate for cultural education and studying Mandarin Chinese. Each week, we invited a Chinese entrepreneur for dinner and had a lunch with hosts who spoke only Chinese.

Lorna Avilés, teaching assistant professor of Spanish; Cusco, Peru

From Lorna Aviles: photo of students laughing together: My students studied Spanish and did community service work in neighboring villages. The Healthy Homes project improves living conditions for these villagers with water filters, hygienic storage and cleaner burning stoves. Students enjoy the messy work of making mud stoves.

My students studied Spanish and did community service work in neighboring villages. The Healthy Homes project improves living conditions for these villagers with water filters, hygienic storage and cleaner burning stoves. Students enjoy the messy work of making mud stoves.

Carl Ernst, distinguished professor in religious studies; Dakar, Senegal

From Professor Carl Ernst: photo of him at a conference table with Senegal friends: Here I am in Senegal with my friends from the Universite Cheikh Anta Diop as we launch the new Center for the Study of Religions and Spiritualities. Carolina has partnered with UCAD in Dakar for several years, including Carolina Performing Arts performances by Grammy winner Youssou N’Dour.

Here I am in Senegal with my friends from the Universite Cheikh Anta Diop as we launch the new Center for the Study of Religions and Spiritualities. Carolina has partnered with UCAD in Dakar for several years, including Carolina Performing Arts performances by Grammy winner Youssou N’Dour.

Sandy Smith-Nonini, adjunct assistant professor of anthropology; San Juan, Puerto Rico

From Sandy Smith: Nonini: photo of folks holding signs: In July, I went to Puerto Rico with my son, filmmaker Roque Nonini. We’re making a documentary called Dis.em.POWER.ed: Puerto Rico’s Perfect Storm about the long (and for some, ongoing) blackout after Hurricane Maria. We’ll distribute it free to educators and nonprofits.

In July, I went to Puerto Rico with my son, filmmaker Roque Nonini. We’re making a documentary called Dis.em.POWER.ed: Puerto Rico’s Perfect Storm about the long (and for some, ongoing) blackout after Hurricane Maria. We’ll distribute it free to educators and nonprofits.

Read more.