Truly Giving Back

Carolina economics alumnus supports his former department, professor

Mark Kogan, center, with his family.
From left: Benjamin, Mark, Betsy and Eli Kogan

When Mark Kogan (B.A. ’79) made a gift to the department of economics in 2010, he never expected to support one of the professors who taught him as an undergraduate more than 30 years earlier.

Kogan established the Mark Kogan Fund for Excellence in the Department of Economics to honor the exceptional faculty in the economics department who inspired his successful business career. One of his professors, Art Benavie, became a recipient of Kogan funding in spring 2012.

“Supporting professors who inspired me makes me feel like I’m giving back to them just a small part of what they’ve given me and that my life has come full circle,” Kogan said.

After graduating from Carolina in 1979 with a double major in economics and political science, Kogan joined Data Resources, Inc., an econometrics consulting company.  He then received an M.B.A. from Harvard Business School and enjoyed a 19-year career at Goldman, Sachs & Co. in New York, Los Angeles and London. He retired in 2004,  moved to Los Angeles in 2006 with his wife Betsy and their sons Benjamin and Eli, and moved to Colorado in late 2013.

“I feel that the department of economics at UNC set me on the path to success,” Kogan said. “With that in mind, how could I not give back?”

Kogan’s philanthropic spirit stems from his upbringing. His father, Jay Kogan, and grandfather, Irwin Cohn, were successful businessmen and philanthropists who encouraged their family to practice Tikkun Olam (“repair the world” in Hebrew). These role models taught Kogan that giving back rewards the donor just as much as the recipient.

For a successful businessman like Kogan, supporting the undergraduate study of economics seemed like the most natural way to give back. He noted that navigating today’s increasingly competitive business world demands a thorough knowledge of economics and finance. Studying these crucial topics in college can help prepare students for long-term success.

“Through my studies, I developed a passion for understanding how the national and international economy shapes our lives,” Kogan said. “There is not a day that I don’t read a news article or listen to a news program in which financial matters are discussed, and I have a greater understanding of the issues at hand. Being able to challenge and debate economic policies makes me a better investor and businessperson.”

Yet Kogan’s gift means even more than supporting economics and returning to his roots. At its heart, the Kogan Fund represents his deeper connection to the Carolina community. Just as his father and grandfather taught him, Kogan feels that giving benefits himself as well as his recipients. For others considering a philanthropic gift, he offers this advice:

“Don’t wait. After you start giving back, you realize that your world has expanded. You meet interesting people, you get to see how you have an impact on others’ lives and you feel more spiritually connected to your community and the institutions you support.”

By Brittany Darst ’14