Message from Dean Karen Gil

Nov. 19, 2014

Dear Faculty and Staff Colleagues,

There is never a “best” time to leave a job that you love. I am writing to let you know that I have decided to step down as dean of the College of Arts and Sciences at the end of the current academic year.

This is the right time for me to return to teaching and research in psychology. I have been inspired by the many innovations that are revolutionizing the way we teach and help students learn, and I am excited to get back into the classroom to apply these myself. I am also eager to collaborate on new ideas and innovations with talented colleagues and students.

Now is also the right time for new leadership in the College. There is much to do as we prepare to embark on the next capital campaign. Also, there is critical work ahead to build on the important reforms we have already put in place. Thank you for your help in keeping the College vibrant and moving forward in the coming months.

During my tenure as dean, it has been my privilege to work with so many talented and passionate people. These efforts have produced many successful outcomes in the College and across our entire campus. Together, we have:

• Received national recognition for innovative teaching and active learning in STEM fields, and those efforts have extended to the social sciences, fine arts and humanities.
  • Launched a new undergraduate biomedical engineering degree program, leveraging a dynamic partnership between the UNC School of Medicine and N.C. State, and created the first new science department in 40 years with the debut of Applied Physical Sciences.
  • Expanded the faculty across the College, especially in the key areas of global education and digital arts and humanities, and supported graduate education, even as we have navigated difficult budget times.
  • Strengthened our popular programs in innovation and entrepreneurship across the College.
  • Developed new initiatives to enhance faculty diversity and promote faculty excellence.

These accomplishments and many others have been possible because of a deeply committed College leadership team, outstanding department chairs, brilliant faculty, dedicated staff and, of course, our amazing students.

The Department of Psychology has been my home base for the two decades that I have been honored to be a Carolina faculty member. I am excited about returning to Davie Hall to pursue teaching and scholarship with valued colleagues and students.

Sincerely,

Karen