Duke says, “Give to Carolina!”

In our spring 2014 Annual Giving solicitation letter for the College of Arts and Sciences, Arts and Sciences Foundation Board member Duke Buchan III shared why he supports the Arts and Sciences Annual Fund and thinks you should, too! Please join Duke by making your annual fund gift today.  You can make a gift online or call Jozi Snowberger at (919) 962-7266. Our fiscal year ends June 30.

Duke Buchan, chair of the Arts and Sciences Board of Directors' development and communications comittee.
Duke Buchan III, chair of the Arts and Sciences Board of Directors’ development and communications comittee.

Dear fellow alumni and friends,

Duke says, “Give to Carolina!” is probably not a phrase you would have thought of ever seeing or hearing. But I, Duke Buchan III ’85, strongly believe you should give to the College of Arts and Sciences at Carolina.

Growing up on a farm in rural Vance County, N.C., I was obsessed with everything Carolina. The walls, curtains and carpet in my room were Carolina blue. My favorite shirt was Carolina blue. My favorite socks were Carolina blue. My favorite architectural masterpiece was the Old Well. My favorite basketball player was Phil Ford. My favorite jokes were “dook” jokes. My first dog was named Tar Heel. My favorite song was (and still is), James Taylor’s “Carolina in My Mind.” My blood might even be Carolina blue!

In my mind, Carolina was my only choice for college. You can only imagine how excited I was when the thick acceptance envelope arrived in the mailbox during my senior year of high school.

As a College of Arts and Sciences student, I was afforded the opportunity to combine my love of Spanish and satisfy my interest in business and entrepreneurship by declaring Spanish and economics as my majors. I enrolled in the University’s year abroad program in Seville, Spain. The study of the Spanish language, literature and cultures provided me a passport to a world outside the United States and instilled in me a global perspective. I’ll never forget the fun we had dancing flamenco at La Feria de Abril or watching the procession of majestic religious floats during Semana Santa in Seville.

I’m truly grateful, as I trust you are, for everything the College of Arts and Sciences and Carolina have done for me and my family. That is why I give back to the College whenever I can. In addition to the creation of The Buchan Excellence Fund in the Department of Romance Languages and Literatures, I enthusiastically support the Arts and Sciences Annual Fund. Annual gifts are put to excellent use by Dean Gil. She determines where the need is most urgent and where the impact is greatest. Giving to the College is my way to show gratitude for my transformative experiences and to show my support of Dean Gil and the College’s initiatives.

Your ongoing support of the College is much appreciated. Please join me and make a gift to the College of Arts and Sciences. Together we will make a difference!

Today, I have a Carolina blue 1965 Mustang convertible. I love to put the top back, drive around with my children and listen to my favorite song. “Can’t you see the sunshine, can’t you just feel the moonshine?”

Sincerely,

Duke Buchan III ’85
Palm Beach, Fla.
Chair, Development and Communications Committee
Arts and Sciences Foundation Board of Directors